Student transfer application period 2017-18:
May 8, 2017, through Mar. 30, 2018
Steps for Submitting Transfer Applications
All student transfer applications must be submitted online. Please follow these steps:
- Visit the online application website.
- Click on Already a part of JCPS?CURRENT STUDENTS. (Is your family new to JCPS? If so, you must first complete theonline registration for your child and then return to the transfer process.)
- Click on Apply for Student Transfer.
- Click on the green Apply for Student Transfer link that appears.
Parents who don't have a computer with Internet access may go to a JCPS school for assistance or visit the Parent Assistance Center at the Lam Building (4309 Bishop Lane). District staff will help you submit a transfer application.
Student transfer applications are reviewed for the following criteria:
- Elementary: There is no criteria to have a transfer considered.
- Middle: Students must be passing all core classes and have no suspensions during the current or previous school year.
- High: Students must have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0, an attendance rate of at least 90 percent, and no suspensions during the current or previous school year.
Important Things to Remember
The following factors are considered during the application review:
- Student needs
- Academic, attendance, and disciplinary records
- Childcare issues
- Extenuating circumstances
- School assignment of the student's siblings
Student transfer approval is not guaranteed and takes 15 to 20 business days to process. The race of an individual student is not used as a factor to grant or deny a student's transfer application.
Students who receive transfer approvals are not guaranteed transportation. They may attend the requested school as long as the transfer has not been revoked by the Office of Student Services. Parents can cancel a transfer by completing the Request to Void Student Transfer Form and submitting it to the Office of Student Services.
Requesting a Student Transfer If You Are Coming From Another County or State
If your child is applying for a student transfer and he or she was previously enrolled in another county or state, you will need to submit the following documents for middle and high school applications:
- Most recent report card or transcript
- Current attendance record
- A statement from an administrator from the previous school stating that there have been no suspensions during the current or previous school year
These documents can be submitted to the Office of Student Assignment (4309 Bishop Lane, Louisville, KY 40218) or faxed to (502) 485-3893.
All students in kindergarten through grade twelve who have not previously attended a JCPS school need to register online. Students must be registered before they can apply to JCPS schools.
Step 1: Register Online
You must complete registration online. The online system will walk you through the process, but if you don't have a computer, we can provide access for registration.
Step 2: Provide Proof of Address
After you register online, you'll need to take proof of address to a JCPS school or registration site, or you may email it to email@example.com.
The proof of address may be one of the following:
- A gas/electric or water bill issued within the last three months
- A lease
- A house contract
- A paycheck or paycheck stub
- A Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or other government benefits letter that has your name and address on it
Students whose parents are moving into Jefferson County from somewhere else must provide proof of residence in Jefferson County before registering.
Important: You may register your child for school regardless of immigration status and/or a fixed, regular, and adequate night-time residence. Our Homeless Education Program can provide assistance with registering your child for school if you are currently homeless.
For more information on the registration process, call the Parent Assistance Center at (502) 485-6250 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access to a Computer for Registration
Computers are available at the JCPS Registration Site, which is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Lam Building (4309 Bishop Lane).
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Office (1325 Bluegrass Avenue) serves families who need help with English. Contact the ESL Office at (502) 485-3623 to make an appointment.
Looking for additional registration opportunities? The JCPS Mobile Student Registration Site stops around the district in the fall. Call (502) 485-6250 for the latest information.